Sunday, May 6, 2018

Space Farm devlog 6

I'm not quite sure how frequently I should update this log, so enjoy a relatively short post while I try to figure that out!

As mentioned in devlog #5, I recently updated my prefab management process to allow for easier loading via script.  So for this work session I focused on cleaning things up to work in this new system.  Almost all of my prefabs are now in the Resources folder and renamed to use a standardized naming convention that I hope I won't decide to change again later.  The exceptions here were the things I'm not sure how I'm going to handle yet, namely the plants.  I'm assuming I'll eventually follow the same process I followed for items, but I'll save that for another time.

I found a couple interesting features of the Inspector pane during this reorg.  The good-- renaming and moving the prefabs in my Projects pane did not seem to break the links that already existed in the Inspector.  Hooray!  The bad-- I cannot for the life of me figure out how to reset just one field of a prefab back to the default I added in the code.  I can reset the whole thing, of course, but that's kinda overkill when I just want the "recipe name" field to update on my Sawmill prefab.  I struggled to Google the issue, as the keywords picked up a lot of similar-but-not-quite-matching forum questions.  However, the Sawmill is the only building that can craft things right now, so it's not exactly an urgent matter.

My Trello board is starting to fill up, and many of the old cards are tagged as "art" and "UI" tasks.  I'm still not sure how I ought to handle art-- hiring out sounds wonderful, but it's early enough in the project that really spending time or money on legit models seems a little silly.  I'll probably have to just keep suffering through my "I spent 30 minutes in Maya throwing something together" programmer art for the foreseeable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment