Monday, May 21, 2018

Space Farm devlog 7

I've been putting off writing this post because I'm not super proud of my most recent progress.  It's pretty messy and I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing.  I'm talking, of course, about UI.

UI graphics are courtesy of Kenney NL who is doing a wonderful thing by giving dorks like me access to some really nice art.  Visit his site here.


Yep, that's my player inventory as of my last code check-in.  I only got this far after hours of trying to follow a tutorial video series (why are they always videos?!) but getting distracted by the dogs every 10 minutes.  Ugh, I'm stressed out just thinking about it.

It looks pretty darn funky, but it does a couple kinda neat things already-- it can load icons based on the item (or lack of item) in a slot, as well as display the number of items in the stack in that slot.  It can also be opened or closed via button press.  The UI element itself is made up of a couple layers of panels and then some prefabs for the item slots.

The idea here was to have one version of the element that could be used by all the inventories in the game, but I'm already finding design flaws in this approach.  I'll likely end up using this more as a template for future inventory screens, assuming I keep any of this mess at all.

In the meantime, I've been trying to sort out some overall game design questions I've left unanswered for a little too long.  I need to get something nailed down for a core gameplay loop so I can build it and see if it's any good, but there are a few different directions I could take this basic "farming game but in space" idea.  I just might have to go play some of my inspiration games for ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment